2.0 Trailer speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Reichu wrote:
Ingraman wrote:If it's really Shinji piloting the Eva-05 in that shot, there will be a little problem about the soul inside the unit....

Maybe that's the problem the weird visor is "attending". Interesting that nothing on 2.0's list of key terms seems to be an obvious fit for the device, though.

I would like to note that 05's entry has the longest and weirdest kanji-salad compared to most of the poster's entries. The best I came up was:
Sealed And Guarded Restricted Weapon - Evangelion - Local Specifications Model 05

EVANGELION PROVISIONAL UNIT-05

First off there are lots of terms for something that's under strict surveillance/very restricted. But there's also the mention of 05 being Locally Specialized (I know it sounds weird, but it simply translates as to being made to function in a specific environ, or with functionality of a limited scope) and of a provisional/temporary nature. A part of me thinks 05 comes from the same place as Mari does. Or that it's very experimental and (as you've mentioned) might be able to function without needing a soul, hence the visor. Sorry to repeat what people were already saying, just thought I'd throw in some specifics of the poster.

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Lagann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Every time i see 05 it tends to be in a dark area, maybe its only for underground use.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:16 pm

RockManBalls wrote:I would like to note that 05's entry has the longest and weirdest kanji-salad compared to most of the poster's entries. (snip)

"Kanji-salad". :lol:

I haven't looked at it myself. Let's see:

封印監視特化型限定兵器 人造人間エヴァンゲリオン 局地仕様 仮設5号機

It appears that 特化型 (model specialized for...) is modifying 封印監視 (seal + surveillance/guarding), which means "seal surveillance" is what Eva-05 is specialized for, not that Eva-05 is the thing being sealed and guarded. An alternate translation of the 2.0 poster (link courtesy of SSD, here) goes for this, and I think it's right on the money. (So maybe they have 05 guarding something locked up underground at Betania Base? "Nebuchadnezzar's Key", maybe? :hahaha: )

限定兵器 go together and form "restricted weapon". Restricted in what way...?

Yeah, 局地仕様 does make it sound like Eva-05 has a rather limited nature, as far as Evas go. I'm more than a little curious just WTF is going on with this Eva. The stuff about limitations and being provisional is probably an indication that Eva-05 will only show up for the opening arc of the movie. If she isn't destroyed in the skirmish, maybe Eva-05 will reappear in the next movie, massively upgraded.

Or that it's very experimental and (as you've mentioned) might be able to function without needing a soul, hence the visor.

I wasn't quite suggesting that Eva-05 would lack a soul; I was mostly reiterating Oedipusfoot's suggestion (which she didn't seem to take seriously) that the helmet apparatus is somehow involved in "bypassing" the typical requirements for an Eva-pilot connection.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:20 pm

There's nothing so far, crappy screenshots or otherwise, to suggest the possibility of multiple Angels attacking at once.

In before someone inevitably says "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" -- he was asking about screenshots specifically, not "the possibilities contained by the length and breadth of fan imagination".

You could have just said...'It's just you'. ;)

This whole thing about seeing Shinji, Kensuke and Toji in thier normal clothes on what is quite obviously a space satelite does make me laugh though. Im not the only one with a vivid imagination.
Last edited by Soul Fire on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NEO Ness
Embryo

Postby NEO Ness » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:23 pm

...?

Possible flashback?

Maybe that's why she's special?

Anyone else see this?

The Crosses she's looking at are at a pretty good 'stand still'. Not much explosive attributes to them.

(If you want to argue with the color of the crosses, just go look at Sachiel's explosions in the show and them on Rebuild.)
Evangelion 3.0!!!!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm

The crosses in the picture with Mari are most likely a reference to the manga when Zereuel attacks.

The green crosses of light in EoE seem to be soul-projectors of sorts.

Tines: The "lovers" quote was somewhere in chit-chat, with Chee replying: WAT and you replying that Chee copied a 4chan style format. I'll get back to you on the citation once I find it. :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Soul Fire wrote:This whole thing about seeing Shinji, Kensuke and Toji in thier normal clothes on what is quite obviously a space satelite does make me laugh though. Im not the only one with a vivid imagination.

To be honest, I'm not familiar enough with the history of space exploration to have been able to to make a visual ID. It could have been some weird-looking lift as far as I knew. -o-;

To follow up on the end of my last post: Here are some shitty screenshots from an alt version of the shakycam capture, which reveal different details:

Image Image Image

Notice the long green tubing that seems to be connected to the arms further down, other indications of tubing (right arm and right trapezius?), and the weird striations on the arms. Also note the weird paired formations on the chest... (They kind of look like, uh, cotton gauze being held in place with tape.) They're kind of... curvy...

Of the trailer impressions posted here, one says "mysterious character (a girl?) in a ?red visor?", and the other just flat-out says "visor girl". So, forget everything I said about "Shinji"; Mari it (almost certainly) is... Not that anyone, including me, is at all surprised.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Lagann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:38 pm

I wonder if 05 will take the place of Jet alone in that it operates differently.

NEO Ness
Embryo

Postby NEO Ness » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Sailor Star Dust, I'm down with the theory of Zeruel's attacks completely. (Zeruel is my favorite angel, and that was immediately what I thought of when I saw it the first time) But the crosses, they don't seem like they are very explosive (For the new movie standards).

Maybe I'm just over thinking this, and it is a 'preview' of a in production movie. The crosses will probably have more of a explosive aura like they did in the first one, but they just didn't have it yet...
Evangelion 3.0!!!!

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Lagann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Ok,in that new version of the trailer eva 00 definitely looks yellow

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Oedipusfoot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:19 pm

About the headgear and the person: I was going to say something, but now I'm not sure if it's relevant anymore, so just read this for entertainment. And I have to say, the most stupid theories are right below, so have some fun! I thought all of this before I saw those clear screenshots.

1. About people being able to sync with an Eva whose core is not written for them because of the headgear, I'm now feeling that the headgear is just for Unit-5.

Also, if people could just sync with any Eva, it would destroy the concept of the Eva, and one of its power sources (the mother's maternal wish to protect a son or daughter...) That whole mythology would dissapear, and it would be kind of wrong.

Then, anyone would be able to 'sync' and it might have a poor effect on the Eva's performance. That is, if the headgear is just a last resort--Nerv wouldn't use it if they had a choice. If it isn't a last resort, it may allow the pilot to pilot the Eva with an amplified fighting ability. But in the Eva universe, there'd be no point to all this (except for a new 'dummy system [not really]).

2. Since the helmet doesn't seem at this point to have a pilot designation, it might be just for the 'special purpose' of Unit-5. The headgear might be linked to the purpose or ability of the Eva, not suppression of the Eva's powers (which would result from the headgear letting everyone pilot each other's Evas, which seems extremely stupid now because of those clearer screenshots.). The special purpose might allow the pilot to understand or see the object of Unit-5's purpose if that purpose is metaphysical in nature (like a 'key').

Wtf is Mari doing?? (if it's her) It's funny because at /general/ (if you know what I mean here) a couple of days ago I saw a drawing that someone did that looks exactly like those clearer screenshots, but there weren't any boobs on the plugsuit. It seems then that the gender might not be as clear, if we can assume or hope that the artist of the picture wasn't just drawing what they wanted to see.

The facial structure is not familiar.

Those clearer screenshots struck me as being part of an experiment a while ago. Now that idea seems really simplistic/literal. Then maybe it was planned, the scenario the headgear person is in. But the pilot is freaking out, so... all I can say is that it's extremely abnormal. That plugsuit design, the tubing, is all very strange.

Edit: Here's the drawing:

If we only had a (perfectly) clear trailer.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:54 pm

NEO Ness wrote:Maybe I'm just over thinking this, and it is a 'preview' of a in production movie. The crosses will probably have more of a explosive aura like they did in the first one, but they just didn't have it yet...

Considering that at least one another cut in the 2.0 trailer looks quite unfinished (Misato slapping Ritsuko has a plain blue sky in the background that's begging to have other shit layered in front of it), this could well be. It certainly has provoked my curiosity for some time why the crosses are just "standing still" instead of doing what would normally be expected of them.

Lagann wrote:I wonder if 05 will take the place of Jet alone in that it operates differently.

..."operates differently"?

Oedipusfoot wrote:It's funny because at /general/ (if you know what I mean here) a couple of days ago I saw a drawing that someone did that looks exactly like those clearer screenshots, but there weren't any boobs on the plugsuit. It seems then that the gender might not be as clear, if we can assume or hope that the artist of the picture wasn't just drawing what they wanted to see.

The artist was apparently using the shitty recording as a reference, so the omission of breasts is not surprising. As mentioned, folks who actually saw the trailer in person think that the character is a she.

And now, just for lulz, a breakdown of the shakycam trailer, sort of like what Gendo'sPapa did earlier, only drawing from the combined wisdom of the thread. (Or something.) But I'm not including timestamps because I'm providing shitty images instead.

I have no fucking clue. Going by one of the trailer reviews, it might be Eva-05 seen from the front. (The chin of the Eva would be right below the bright light, which is emanating from the ... visor, I guess.)

(EDIT: Yes, it is Eva-05.)

Image Image
Dummy-plugged Eva-01 getting ready to punch in Eva-03's head.

Image Image Image
Eva-00 leaping in mid-sprint, with the color scheme (yellow/blue/white) unchanged from 1.0. Offhand it doesn't look like pylons have been added.

Image Image Image Image Image
Eva-02 running while paired weapons pop out of the pylons (making a weird bluish cap go flying off on the right side). Are they both the same thing? Is either one the prog knife pictured in the Honda illustration from Newtype?

Eva-01's foot about to kick up a fuckton of dirt. (From Sahaquiel sprint.)

Image Image
Eva-01 powering up ATF to catch Sahaquiel.

Shinji in dorky striped shirt, holding onto the ?railing of a ship?. Possibly talking to Kaji, to be seen later.

Misato. Probably from some bonding-with-Shinji scene associated with the Sahaquiel arc. (Either that, or she's telling Kaji how happy she is to see him...)

Image Image
Captain Langley Shikinami. Looks like she's standing on top of some part of Eva-02 (not really obvious in the left screencap).

(EDIT: But it's more obvious here.)

Image Image
Rei in decrepit apartment, talking to herself or to someone we can't see.

Gendo getting picked up from Yui's "grave".

Image Image
Ritsuko getting ready to have her glasses slapped off (I bet).

Image Image Image
Shinji hoisting himself up, wearing his SDAT ear buds. Bunch of shit in the foreground that's too blotchy to comment on.

Image Image
A railway track switching out.

A car and some other vehicles.

School girls (including Asuka?) going up an exterior stairway. ?Shinji in the foreground.

Tokyo-3 in the mist.

烏の群。Er, I mean crows. Corresponds to a shot from episode 18, when the Evas are waiting for Bardi to show up.

Image Image
Space satellite thingy. (Yes, it's very obvious to me now that there are no children in this image. Please, stop making fun of me!!!!)

E-Z Pass lanes.

Tokyo-3's array of light-condensing buildings (on the shore of Ashinoko).

Some of the "random scenery" skipped over due to laziness.

Image Image Image
Crappy animation of those fucked-up "legs" walking on water and making pretty things happen. Also, some darker stills that show just how "icy" the water's getting. I'm having Fantasia flashbacks.

More to come...
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Reichu: It's Shikinami Asuka, not Langley Shikinami. But that's quibbling.

Also, that animation of the legs just cements in my mind that it's M, though I can't quite imagine why. It would help if we could see other things though.

CRAZY JOKE THEORY: BLACK WALKING CROSSES FROM THE NEW ANGEL.

pablumatic
Embryo

Postby pablumatic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Looks like quite a lot of stuff to happen in one movie. I'm not sure how it will all fit. Maybe just brief flashbacks of battles with somewhat inconsequential angels with a few flashy new scenes and fan memory to fill in the blanks left on the big-screen? Either that or there may be two or more angels attacking at once.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Legendary wrote:Reichu: It's Shikinami Asuka, not Langley Shikinami. But that's quibbling.

"Langley Shikinami", as a compound surname minus the dash. (I was going for a "Western" presentation, so the Eastern surname gets plopped onto the end instead of the front.)

Also, that animation of the legs just cements in my mind that it's M, though I can't quite imagine why.

Seriously... Have you seen Matarael anytime recently? :tongue:

pablumatic wrote:I'm not sure how it will all fit.

Magic of cinema.

Continued...

Image Image Image
Eva-03 dropping in to say "hi". The third frame here is a blend of two separate ones; you get to see Eva-03's actual eye (red iris on white) in both. (The coloration is unchanged from the original; it's nice that they've maintained continuity on such a minor detail. In 18, Eva-03's real eyes were visible for a couple of frames, in the shot where her head flies apart in a gory mess.)

Image Image
Scene that some are identifying with the polysomes lasering the Ireul "corrosion". (Not really enough by itself to establish the presence of a whole additional Angel, though.)

Image Image Image
Muddied-to-hell closeup of Zeruel.

Eva-01 during Sahaquiel sprint.

Crappy animation of Eva-05 FIRIN' DA HARP00N!!!! In the very first frame, the "deltoid decal" (but not much else) is clearly visible. The shapes seem to jump around a little due to "flashy" lighting.

Image Image Image Image
Eva-02 "holding up" Sahaquiel's ATF. She brings her knee up at the end of the cut; exactly what that's intended to accomplish, only time will tell...

Image Image
Zeruel unleashing another blast. (This shot was correlated directly to one from 19, earlier in the thread.)

Image Image Image
Hugeass explosion. Sahaquiel? Bardiel before setting out? Notice the weird reddish "dome". Is that nothing more than a fancy explosion effect, or is it...

Image Image
...something else?

Image Image
Shinji initially looks a bit forlorn here. There's a flooded settlement in the distance.

Image Image Image
"Visor Girl".

Asuka at an aquarium. (Better version posted by TMBountyHunter.)

Where the heck could Fuyutsuki and Gendo be?

Who/what is Naked Moon Kaworu glancing so adorably at?

Toji arguing with Kensuke about something while Shinji gets distracted. (Probably by Rei, like G'sPapa said.)

Kaji smoking like Sadamoto always wanted. Scene/setting seems to be the same as this shot, as mentioned.

Image Image
Misato hoisting herself off her car.

Asuka rolls over in her futon, looking very adorable. And giving me weird vibes of the "I have boobs, Kaji! Screw me!" scene.

Rei bored at school. Possibly a companion to this.

Image Image
Shinji watches Gendo fly away, and makes his departure from Yui's "grave". (Incidentally, the first 1.0 trailer also ended with Shinji walking offscreen, seen from a distance.)

I guess that's it. Hope you enjoyed these shitty captures, and I will get to do this all over again in a matter of days.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Legendary wrote:Reichu: It's Shikinami Asuka, not Langley Shikinami.

Only if you're a weeaboo.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:17 pm

The pictures definitely help make the whole shot by shot easier to see.

Now can we put Matariel to rest. The film only needs one case of the three core Eva's working in total collaboration and that's Sahaquiel.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Sure, put Matariel to rest. PLEASE put it to rest. Back to Matarael.

If the legs are in fact the bottom part of said legs, I can totally see that being Matarael, even if the camera has to be totally awkward for it. Further, we will probably get an Angel battle to showcase EVA-02 or EVA-05. Considering how Matarael dies in the series, it would be perfect for EVA-05 to fight it. After all, it's gotta fight something, and Sahaquiel and Bardiel definitely aren't this, and Zeruel would get too overdone if it fought and defeated a third Eva, so -05 kind of has to fight the weird angel.

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Random symbolic interpretation of the night: Train tracks.

I'm just taking a stab that they were included in the trailer to show that the story is "changing directions" from the original.

</obvious>

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 pm

Reichu, very nice write up thus far.

I hope they don't change Asuka to much..I quite love her Character. Everything looks great thus far. I can not wait to see awakening of 01.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”