Shinji X Asuka

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Shinji X Asuka

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:13 pm

Well, might aswell start this so we have a thread to officially start couple wars in.

My opinion on this couple:

They make sense and are a very good couple. Shinji obviously has feelings for Asuka, that is indesputable fact. I quote from the Eva card game:

"Neither Yui, Rei nor Misato could do as a woman for Shinji. Asuka alone was the only girl on equal footing with him. So, Shinji desired/sought after Asuka. "I'm afraid of Misato and Ayanami." However, Shinji's crude affection only hurt her. In the end, he used her as an object of lust/desire to soothe/console himself..."

But wether or not Asuka has feelings for Shinji is disputable. I believe she does but it's based more on opinion than fact. Yes there is evidence of Asuka liking Shinji, but Evidence is not proof.

She definily loves Shinji in Girlfriend of Steel 2nd and Raising Ikari Shinji. But what hints could there possibly be in the normal Eva universe? Well for one, in Girlfriend of Steel 1st, Asuka gets unbelievbly jealous of Mana and comes up with all these crazy ideas that she is really evil. She is protective of Shinji and gets really sad when Shinji and Mana go on a date, not to mention she is actually releaved when Mana dies. May I remind you that GoS 1st takes place in the same world as the show.

The next bit of evidence is in the mind rape scene. We know that ADV inaccuratley translated "Hold me" as "make love to me" so Asuka was reffering to being held by Shinji. "Holding" someone means to embrace them romantically, if Asuka wanted to beembrased lovingly, then didn't that mean she wanted Shinji's love? There is the argue that she wants to be loved by everyone, but there is no evidence for that in the series. The only evidence is that she has a crush on Kaji and feels "something" for Shinji. What is up to thye mind of the viewer. But there is no evidence that she wants Shinji to love her without loving him back. Assuming that is doing the same as assuming this couple, beyond the words and phrazes of the show. Which in cases like this, is bad because it closes our minds to other posibilities.

I personally am a fan of Kaworu X Shinji and Asuka X Shinji. Althoguh the second more. Which is why I made this thread.

Now going on to my next point. Shinji doesn't strangle her in the end of EoE. Yet again, I quote the Eva cards:

"Shinji renounced the world where all hearts had melted into one and accepted each other unconditionally. His desire... to live with 'others' -- other hearts that would sometimes reject him, even deny him. That is why the first thing he did after coming to his senses was to place his hands around Asuka's neck. To feel the existence of an 'other'. To confirm (make sure of) rejection and denial."

And yes, the Eva Cars were comissioned by Gainax, infact Anno himself comissioned them. So, read and respond please.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:10 pm

One of these days I'm going to have to pull all this together into a web page with screenies...

The big problem with SxA I see is the tiny overlap between them, in both being pilots. Asuka is a warrior-aristocrat trained from childhood; Shinji a middle-class drifter who was unluckily drafted.

The two times Shinji made an advance on Asuka was when she was not conscious - he clearly saw a hot chassis, but was not sure about the occupant (between that end the end of ep#6, what clearer argument is there for the ideal suitability of LRS?)

Asuka, alone, unloved, sought meaningless physical solace to compensate for the lack of affectionate physical contact as an infant - she just wanted the hugs her mother never gave her. For a man, Kaji was always her choice, Shinji someone whom being with would not be a complete abrogation of her standards. She was in no wise accepting of him as an equal or confidant, as ep#22 showed.

On the beach, at the end, I don't think either of them are completely sane. There are ways of eliciting rejection, like slapping or shaking, that don't imply lethal intent - though Asuka's circumstances, and final words in Complementation, suggest that she would welcome death over life at that point.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:32 pm

As I said, it all boils down to opinion. There is no fact in anime couples, just opinion.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:44 pm

I do think Shinji and Asuka would be good for each other but they'd need to grow up first.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Shnooks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:48 pm

I like them together, but they'd make a bad couple.

I think as both children being abonded by a parent, someone that as a young child you rely on to be there for you, they are both missing something substantial in themselves. Which, I'm assuming we all already know because they tend to talk about it a lot >_>

I think that any moves towards eachother they made were purely just out of desire to fill the emptiness in their hearts with a physical being. Like unhealthy obsessions! Yay unhealthy obsessions!

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:06 pm

Eva is all opinionated. There is no fact or truth to an Eva, it is all how the viewer chooses to see it. But it is our nature as humans to want others to follow our opinion. I have evidence behind my opinion but it all in the end turns to how someone views said evidence.

I think Shinji and Asuka are perfect for eachother, they make up for eachother's imperfect trait. Shinji is too selfless, Asuka is too selfish. And if they choose to learn from eachother, they become better people. Part of love is finding someone who suceeds where you fail and trade in that aspect. That is why I think partly Shinji and Asuka are perfect for eachother. But as I said, this is just opinionated. Nothing more.

Shinji and Asuka also share many things in common, so they can empthaze. In my opinion, love cannot be formed over two opisites or two identicals but a cross between those things.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Tsu-chan I'm with you on this one.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:07 pm

My opinion was that the beach scene was coming for a long time, albiet expected in a less disturbing fashion.

The reality is that if Shinji and Asuka ever became an item, sooner or later, one of them would wake up to the sound of their trachea being snapped by the other. Quite frankly I don't get what was so "obvious" about their relationship in the first place. Then again, you're reading the words of someone who assummed for the first four times throught the show that Asuka had nothing but contempt for Shinji. Why do we always keep coming back to this?

Ahhh who am I kidding! Forget musing on the meaning of Evangelion! The likelyhood is we'll still be here ten years from now bickering like a bunch of old women about what the "proper" shippings are. I can see us engaging in the online equivilent of rapping each other on the knuckles with walking sticks, and rocking back and forth vexedly as we each attempt to put forth equally unlikely love pairings in some doomed effort to satisfy our own craving for surety at the expense of any unfortunate Eva initiates who happen to wander by.

Anyway, everyone knows Shinji x Maya is the greatest love story never told.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:34 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:As I said, it all boils down to opinion. There is no fact in anime couples, just opinion.

Very good statement, now if everyone could just accept it.

Personally I am a very big Shinji x Asuka shipper and I have written some really horrible fanfics with the emphasis being this. In fact I won't read a fanfic where they don't end up together, but this is just because it is my personal preference. You can find so called proof for either way on this issue and a lot of the so called proof can be used to prove or disprove it. It is all a rather mute point.

Except this one
Anyway, everyone knows Shinji x Maya is the greatest love story never told.

If this wasn't sarcasm you deserve to be rolled up in a bamboo mat, beaten till your bones are runny, and tossed into a hot springs.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby sachiel » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:44 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I can see us engaging in the online equivilent of rapping each other on the knuckles with walking sticks, and rocking back and forth vexedly as we each attempt to put forth equally unlikely love pairings in some doomed effort to satisfy our own craving for surety at the expense of any unfortunate Eva initiates who happen to wander by.

Oh, so I'm not the only one who noticed? :lol:

OMF wrote:Anyway, everyone knows Shinji x Maya is the greatest love story never told.

Shinji/Maya shippers make Baby Jesus cry.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:11 am

The only person who seems to want the other in that couple scenariois Shinji. Asuka doesn't think him as a partner. That's the bottom line. True, she want's the attention/affection, but looks for it in people SHE wants it from. Shinji may be good for a tease or 2, but thats it.

BTW, opposites don't always attract, in my case they repel, except if it comes to gender....
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:05 am

Titus wrote:The only person who seems to want the other in that couple scenariois Shinji. Asuka doesn't think him as a partner. That's the bottom line. True, she want's the attention/affection, but looks for it in people SHE wants it from. Shinji may be good for a tease or 2, but thats it.

BTW, opposites don't always attract, in my case they repel, except if it comes to gender....

What you say is true.

But I think that Shinji and Asuka do like each other though.

Although this is just speculation.

Tell you one thing, she does like him in the parallel universe ehnce why she is so defensive of when Rei joins them in class and with Misato being the teacher.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:08 am

Huh? Where's that? Did I miss something?

BTW, where the hell have you been? I mean, I know uni's tuff n all, but I have 1 week (6days n 8 hours) to finish 2 portfolios and im still online for an hour or so.... 8)
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey

PieRat
Embryo

Re: Shinji X Asuka

Postby PieRat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:59 am

Sorry for this off-topic post but...

Tsu-chan wrote:
She definily loves Shinji in Girlfriend of Steel 2nd and Raising Ikari Shinji. But what hints could there possibly be in the normal Eva universe? Well for one, in Girlfriend of Steel 1st, Asuka gets unbelievbly jealous of Mana and comes up with all these crazy ideas that she is really evil. She is protective of Shinji and gets really sad when Shinji and Mana go on a date, not to mention she is actually releaved when Mana dies. May I remind you that GoS 1st takes place in the same world as the show.

:shock: Mana didn't die in GoS 1, her escape pod was found from the sea, and she got a new name and ID and went living in some small distant village. Or that's atleast in the game.(I don't know if there's a GoS1 manga, feel free to flame me if there is)

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:04 am

Uh-huh. Deleted.
Last edited by Zuggy on Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:07 pm

^ I agree with you Zugzwang. Shinji and Rei seem so perfect as a couple since they both have the same personalities (both lonely in life, not comfortable with other people around them) and they really seem to connect so well.

I, obviously, frown upon any Shinji/Asuka coupling since they just do not get along well as a couple. Yeah, I know the old saying "Opposites attract" but quite frankly, this is an example of two opposites not attracting.

And from the TV series, the evidence of Shinji/Rei moments outshined any Shinji/Asuka moments, IMO.

If Asuka were to pair up with anyone, I would say Touji, simply because Asuka looks like she wants someone who can beat her at her own game and Touji seems to fit into that category. Well that's just my opinion.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:08 pm

PieRat wrote: :shock: Mana didn't die in GoS 1, her escape pod was found from the sea, and she got a new name and ID and went living in some small distant village. Or that's atleast in the game.(I don't know if there's a GoS1 manga, feel free to flame me if there is)

That was one of three possible endings. Another ending was roughly similar and I can never remember it, but the last ending, IIRC, was completely inconclusive on the subject on whether or not Mana survived, and could be interpreted as being the ending in which she actually died.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:22 pm

I say let Shinji have Rei, some nasty incest(ish) kinda shit and let Asuka strive for what she wants or be bitchy til underverse come..

PieRat
Embryo

Postby PieRat » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:
PieRat wrote: :shock: Mana didn't die in GoS 1, her escape pod was found from the sea, and she got a new name and ID and went living in some small distant village. Or that's atleast in the game.(I don't know if there's a GoS1 manga, feel free to flame me if there is)

That was one of three possible endings. Another ending was roughly similar and I can never remember it, but the last ending, IIRC, was completely inconclusive on the subject on whether or not Mana survived, and could be interpreted as being the ending in which she actually died.

Ah, I apologize my foolishness then, haven't played it more than one and a half times through

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Digitalex » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:54 pm

Why settle for one or the other?

I say menage-a-trois. Shinji can rewrite the world in any way he sees fit. Get them both in the sack. Happiness all around.
Alex D.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”