2.0 Trailer speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 am

Reichu wrote:Image Image
Space satellite thingy. (Yes, it's very obvious to me now that there are no children in this image. Please, stop making fun of me!!!!)

Don't worry, you had me convinced the 3 stooges were in it 'til I saw the clearer image.

Reichu wrote:Image Image
Scene that some are identifying with the polysomes lasering the Ireul "corrosion". (Not really enough by itself to establish the presence of a whole additional Angel, though.)

I'm not convinced it's Ireul, I'm thinking maybe Sahaquiel, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. Also, random fan idea (not what I think happens, and has more or less been suggested before): Let's say for shits and giggles that the weird legs are a new and improved matarael, what if the power goes out during that attack now (assuming it follows NGE's plot elements, which it won't) because Ireul is attacking, rather than someone cutting NERV's power?

Reichu wrote:Image Image Image
Hugeass explosion. Sahaquiel? Bardiel before setting out? Notice the weird reddish "dome". Is that nothing more than a fancy explosion effect, or is it...

Image Image
...something else?

I think it's Sahaquiel going all kool-aid on us.

also

Reichu wrote:Image

Adorable Kaworu is adorable
:misato_service:
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 am

Legendary wrote:If the legs are in fact the bottom part of said legs, I can totally see that being Matarael

Okay... Let's try this again. (NAW, are you paying attention?) THIS is how Matarael moves (as a direct consequence of its design):

(Click for bigger.)

Note how widely spaced apart the legs are, and approximately where the 'feet' end up landing relative to one another over the course of the Angel's stride.

Now look at this:

...and try to squeeze Matarael's splayed, quadrupedal walk into the "footprints of ice", which require very narrow bipedality, or, at least, four stilt-like legs positioned directly beneath the main body. Matarael's legs and walking mode are also designed for weight-bearing, not for tiptoeing across/directly on the water.

If my point about there being nothing but an entirely superficial resemblance to Matarael ("lol spindly 'legs'") still doesn't get across, there isn't much more I can do. You can think that the "legs" represent a thoroughly redesigned Matarael if you like, but I question the merits of doing so based on the inherently questionable premise of identifying the "legs" with Matarael at all.

(If additional information ends up vindicating someone other than me on this matter, I'll also get over it incredibly fast. Ultimately I just want to know what the fuck that thing in the trailer really is.)

cat42 wrote:I think it's Sahaquiel going all kool-aid on us.

Yep, that's what I was going for. :wink:

Although I can't shake the feeling that the explosion might be Bardiel blowing up the Matsushiro testing facility. Might be a completely incidental detail, but...

...both shots are "framed" by rows of telephone poles. The similar composition suggests the idea of an "advance". (Sounds silly, and lol title, but it's just what came to mind...)

That doesn't, of course, alter the possibility that the red stuff flooding the city is an Angel "going Kool-Aid". ("Lilin are Tang, Angels are Kool-Aid"... I like!)

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:Reichu, very nice write up thus far.

:blush:

I can not wait to see awakening of 01.

Indeed. It better be incredibly gory and kick all kinds of ass. The measure of this movie's success will be based upon whether or not Yui's munchies scene makes me want to get up and howl.

Itac wrote:Random symbolic interpretation of the night: Train tracks. I'm just taking a stab that they were included in the trailer to show that the story is "changing directions" from the original. </obvious>

It hadn't even occurred to me, to be honest. -o-; Now that cut of the lanes switching feels incredibly profound. Or, at least, much more "interesting" than it did before.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:05 am

You can spell it Matariel.
You can spell it Matarael.

Doesn't mean she's gonna be in 2.0.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:14 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:You can spell it Matariel.
You can spell it Matarael.

The spelling issue is pretty bizarre here. The original angel's name can be spelled a few different ways, including Matarel, Matariel, and Matriel. The NGE Angel's name is written MATORIERU in katakana, which implies they're using "Matriel", but for no obvious reason the official stuff put out by Newtype and Bandai uses the spelling "Matarael". lolwut

[/random lesson of the day]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 am

Yep. I never get hung up on how to spell an Angel's name (though some people here do). It varies depending. ADV uses "Matriel". Doesn't make them wrong. Other people use "The Weak Ass Spider Guy". Doesn't make them wrong either.

Also, looking at the translated poster it opens with 3 things- 3rd Angel, Bethany Base, and Eva 05. Now humor me, I've been up for 30 hours and just finished a tough film rehearsal. Perhaps Evangelion 05 (a provisional, aka temporary, aka might has well have it's destruction date stamped on it Eva) is used in some sort of experiment with the captured (where else could it be) Third Angel. This experiment of course does not go well and the poor "Visor Pilot" and the Eva get destroyed real good.

This of course puts a dent in my Evangelion Unit 06 IS the Third Angel theory (not that I'm abandoning it, just humoring mental wanderings at 3:30 in the morning) and of course begs what Mari is to do, but if you want to open your film with a bang why not do it with the utter destruction of a superfluous Evangelion and its pilot at the whims of a powerful Angel. Due to return in later films of course.

Just mental wanderings from what little little info we have. And boy do we have little.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 am

Who/what is Naked Moon Kaworu glancing so adorably at?

a helpless moon kitten, never stood a chance

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:19 am

Good work, Reichu. But are you sure about the first shot? Despite the quality of the video...it seems there is another light over the main visor, and some kind of element in front of it...like a horn. It could be the activation sequence of EVA-06 before the trip.

RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:00 am

Reichu wrote:It appears that 特化型 (model specialized for...) is modifying 封印監視 (seal + surveillance/guarding), which means "seal surveillance" is what Eva-05 is specialized for, not that Eva-05 is the thing being sealed and guarded.

Ahh... You know I actually thought that at first and thought, "nah, they wouldn't make an evangelion designed for guarding a seal. I must be reading that wrong." I guess I still don't understand what that means. Has there ever been mention in the evangelion mythos of a seal, oh great eva-mistress?

Reichu wrote:So maybe they have 05 guarding something locked up underground at Betania Base? "Nebuchadnezzar's Key", maybe? :hahaha: )

Maybe the "key" is Mari herself because Anno just watched the Da Vinci Code. That would rock and suck.

Reichu wrote:限定兵器 go together and form "restricted weapon". Restricted in what way...?

I think Gentei is referring more to it's "limited nature" than anything else. Makes sense when paired with 局地仕様

The other translation also got Tabuha's translation right: Tabgha. (I sort of thought Tiberias and Tabgha were the same place. Sorry Jewish people.) And that it's the second test site in Matsushiro, not Matsushiro-2 like Tokyo-3. That was just an oversight.

rberlin
Adam

Postby rberlin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 am

Evangelion 05 is actually the Type 666 Firewall used during End of Eva and the Iruel attack on the Magi. The Eva is actually just a virtual simulation of an Evangelion with a virtual AT Field. That explains the helmet and special plug suit which are required to operate the Eva. It's very GitS.

Or it's a nanoscale Evangelion, also used to fight Iruel, and also controlled remotely via the special plug suit and helmet. It's very Fantastic Voyage.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am

i'd doubt that they would need all that other equipment, the current system already basically reads their minds

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:49 am

More speculation on 05: Woohoo.

We know it's limited use. From what we've see of it, it seems to have a different body structure than all of the others.

Perhaps it's a tank-train Evangelion, and instead of using the lift system it uses the rail way systems(More reason for the train tracks??). This would also put it as "Locally Specialized". Perhaps the visor is merely something similar to the visor used by the Pilots when they use the sniper rifle, and is just an accessory to help the pilot of 05...use it's weapons?

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 am

Lagann wrote:Ok,in that new version of the trailer eva 00 definitely looks yellow

Wait, where's the new version of it? I wanna get my hands on it and pick it apart piece by piece...
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:25 am

Maybe that is just it..Maybe The title implies directly to Eva 03 being stopped by Eva 01 thus you can not Advance or it could have to do with Nagisa getting into NERV but I feel its more about 03 and maybe Zeruel getting into NERV...I don't know.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Reichu: This is why you're awesome. Thanks so far! :yippee:

Reichu wrote:Mari it (almost certainly) is... Not that anyone, including me, is at all surprised.

I know I'm not. The fact she looks so distressed makes me wonder if being in Eva-05(?) will result in something disastrous. *Insert just what here*

Rockmanballs wrote:Has there ever been mention in the evangelion mythos of a seal, oh great eva-mistress?

Do tell, Reichu. I'm curious too. Although an Eva guarding a seal sounds kinda lame and reeks of Pointless Religious Symbolism (actually I get the feeling Mari does too), I'm curious anyway.

Who/what is Naked Moon Kaworu glancing so adorably at?

Clearly at the hordes of fans waiting for him to either stalk Shinji or have new 'n different character development. Maybe even both. :tonguegrin:

Also, am I the only one who thought this

and this

are part of the same scene? Granted crappy trailer quality is crappy, but...

Moving on, I figured that the "kool-aid" explosion is from Bardiel (either dying himself or blowing up Matsushiro) instead of Sahaquiel dying, but who really knows at this point?

One last comment: This was probably already mentioned, but I have the feeling Misato slapping Ritsuko is either going to be in the episode 20 "Do something!" context as instead of episode 16 with Shinji and Eva-01 trapped by Leliel. Or, it's something completely different context-wise.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Ingraman wrote:Good work, Reichu. But are you sure about the first shot?

I said I had no clue, didn't I? :wink: I figured including the guess from one of the trailer reviews was better than nothing.

RockManBalls wrote:You know I actually thought that at first and thought, "nah, they wouldn't make an evangelion designed for guarding a seal. I must be reading that wrong." I guess I still don't understand what that means. Has there ever been mention in the evangelion mythos of a seal, oh great eva-mistress?

The most obvious point of correlation that came to mind was this:

最重要生体物厳重保管庫前
封印所専用仮設通路
Ultra Important Life Form Maximum Security Vault Forward Entrance
Temporary Access to Quarantine Section

Referring to the entrance to Lilith's chamber. I cheated on the translation here: Complete Records Collection provided an English counterpart to the kanji salad, so I used it. "Quarantine" as a translation for fuuin strikes me as a bit odd, since "quarantine" implies isolation to prevent the spread of disease or as some form of punishment, whereas "seal" (what fuuin literally translates to) more implies putting something in an enclosed location, as for safety and/or secrecy. What do you make of that?

In any case, since fuuin shows up in reference to Lilith's safekeeping, it made me think that Eva-05 might be guarding something that is similarly "sealed up".

Maybe the "key" is Mari herself because Anno just watched the Da Vinci Code. That would rock and suck.

I haven't read/watched Da Vinci Code. What specifically are you thinking of? (Just curious.)

I ought to add the 2.0 poster translation (with the necessary fixes) to the Wiki. No objections, I assume?

Sailor Star Dust wrote:The fact [Mari] looks so distressed makes me wonder if being in Eva-05(?) will result in something disastrous. *Insert just what here*

Might be bad joojoo happening, or maybe it's just a "dynamic shot" that, taken out of context, just looks that way.

...an Eva guarding a seal sounds kinda lame and reeks of Pointless Religious Symbolism (actually I get the feeling Mari does too)

What kind of Pointless Religious Symbolism are you specifically thinking of?

For whatever it's worth, the Japanese render the Biblical name "Mary" as マリア (Maria). (Lots of people probably know this already because of "Maria-sama ga miteru".) So, yeah, I have a feeling your feeling may be right. Are those asterisks shielding our innocent eyes from more Pointless Religious Symbolism?

Also, am I the only one who thought this and this are part of the same scene?

Oh... good call. 'Tis possible.

Moving on, I figured that the "kool-aid" explosion is from Bardiel (either dying himself or blowing up Matsushiro) instead of Sahaquiel dying, but who really knows at this point?

The lighting is wrong for it to be Bardiel going Kool-Aid. We can see in the available shots that Eva-01 rips Eva-03 apart around sunset, just like in the show. The red fluid flooding the city is during normal daylight hours (same time as the Sahaquiel operation, since the Evas are running under clear blue skies).

Image Image Image

This was probably already mentioned, but I have the feeling Misato slapping Ritsuko is either going to be in the episode 20 "Do something!" context as instead of episode 16 with Shinji and Eva-01 trapped by Leliel. Or, it's something completely different context-wise.

Probably different context. Just going by (admittedly tenuous) comparison with the original series, the 16/2.0 slap scene has Ritsuko and Misato uninjured; in 20, they're both bandaged up because of the Matsushiro explosion.

Agentomega wrote:Wait, where's the new version of it? I wanna get my hands on it and pick it apart piece by piece...

There is no "new version".

Itac wrote:Perhaps the visor is merely something similar to the visor used by the Pilots when they use the sniper rifle, and is just an accessory to help the pilot of 05...use it's weapons?

What about all the weird tubing?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Reichu wrote:What about all the weird tubing?

Uhmm..Control system?

We could theorize that Eva-05 is a "provisional" Evangelion because perhaps it was a partially failed attempt at cloning Adam/Lillith/3rdAngel/Whoever. While the body was intact, maybe the muscle development was hindered and they had to use hydrolic support...Or. I don't know. I'm just pulling things out of nowhere.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:04 pm

With all the new info that came out, I think we should update the Wiki page for the movie now since it looks like it been dead for ages.

http://www.evageeks.org/FGP/Evangelion_2.0

I would do my self but I suck at making pages on the Wiki sites and I think someone who is a better editor should do it.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Lagann » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:12 pm

The only other thing that i could think would be sealed up is adam.Witch i always wondered how Kaji stole,since its something that im sure seele would seal up tight.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Lagann wrote:The only other thing that i could think would be sealed up is adam.Witch i always wondered how Kaji stole,since its something that im sure seele would seal up tight.
In this version, there appear to be several Adams. SEELE can't look out for all of them, can they? =P
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:With all the new info that came out, I think we should update the Wiki page for the movie now since it looks like it been dead for ages.

All of the Rebuild-relevant pages are pretty sadly outdated and missing tons of relevant information. (Of course, the same could be said for pretty much the entire Wiki...) Lots of people around here have Wiki accounts. Anybody want to rally on this?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”