2.0 Trailer speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:37 pm

I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw the new trailer for 2.0 (even if it is not the best quality...). After reading a lot of the speculation, there are a few thoughts I figured I'd share...

I noticed that the pilot of unit 5 wears a plugsuit with a design unlike the pilots we've seen so far, and Kaworu is depicted (in most forms of released media) with a dark colored plugsuit similar to Toji's. This probably means that the pilot is a new character, or one that was not used before (e.g. Kensuke). Also, we can confirm that it is a pilot by looking at 51.63 (you can just barely see the seat in the plug).

1 - 2

Between 43.07 and 43.73 we see what could be Unit 05, and between 44.53 and 45.43 is what's probably Unit 06. Noting the strange eyes on the head armor, perhaps it's connected to the Lillith on the moon at the end of Rebuild 1.0.

Unit 05:
04 - 05 -
06 - 07

Unit 06:
08 - 09 -

Note the halo over Unit 06 in the first picture.

As for the discussion of Iruel before, I think that the "laser" devices are actually satellites attacking Sahaquiel in orbit. Note that there's sort of a curvature to the darkness in the background, sort of like the outline of the planet Earth.

11 - 12

On a final note, I had a thought (a most likely wrong, but nevertheless interesting thought) about Mari. Thinking about all the name changes going on, and assuming that Rebuild occurs after EoE, perhaps Mari is somehow the 4 prominent characters rolled into one: Misato, Asuka, Rei, and Ikari, or M.A.R.I. Then again, maybe it's really just a name, and I'm overthinking things lol.
Last edited by Agentomega on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:38 pm

And how long is that kid going to stay nude?

Until he actually does something.

EDIT: Your pictures under Eva-06 are Eva-02
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Agentomega wrote:I noticed that the pilot of unit 5 wears a plugsuit with a design unlike the pilots we've seen so far, and Kaworu is depicted (in most forms of released media) with a dark colored plugsuit similar to Toji's.
However, there's no reason why they shouldn't change this. After Shikinami, everything's possible.

Agentomega wrote:Note the halo over Unit 06 in the first picture.
Not quite sure what you're trying to show here. At least I can't really make out a (definite) halo on Eva-02 here, if that's what you mean. Too much spirals, likely from AT-Field clash with Sahaquiel.

Agentomega wrote:As for the discussion of Iruel before, I think that the "laser" devices are actually satellites attacking Sahaquiel in orbit. Note that there's sort of a curvature to the darkness in the background, sort of like the outline of the planet Earth.
Well, the "lasers" do look quite different than those in the show and on the first-posted (likely unrelated, as Reichu just pointed out) pic. I certainly wouldn't mind if Iruel wouldn't be in.

Agentomega wrote:On a final note, I had a thought (a most likely wrong, but nevertheless interesting thought) about Mari. Thinking about all the name changes going on, and assuming that Rebuild occurs after EoE, perhaps Mari is somehow the 4 prominent characters rolled into one: Misato, Asuka, Rei, and Ikari, or M.A.R.I. Then again, maybe it's really just a name, and I'm overthinking things lol.
Uh... bad memories...
Fortunately, the name isn't actually written "Mari" in Japanese... >_>

RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 pm

The unfinished (because I suck and am lame) translation of Sore O Nasumono has Shinji wearing a visor that shone with a faint light. It involved Shinji becoming one with Eva in a sense, in that he entered the "Deep Stage" where he and Eva acted as one. Maybe they decided to work the idea in somehow with 05's pilot. Though it doesn't look like whoever the pilot is in the trailer enjoys it very much.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 pm

onlylunch2 wrote:As much as i personnally desire for a philosophical/romance filled ending (nothing sappy), the new ending will probably be more about Shinji accepting who he is and his reality; he finds happiness through himself.

An important (and apparently oft-overlooked) part of EOE is Shinji's realization that he does in fact need other people to be happy.

Rei:
If you wish once more for the existence of others, the barriers of the heart will separate everyone once more... And the fear of other people will begin again.

Shinji:
That's all right...
(disengages Rei from him and clasps her hand)
Thank you.

EDIT: And of course, there are similar bits in the TV ending:

Shinji: This is the world of nothing, space with nothing,
the world of nothing.
The world with nothing but me.
I am understanding myself less.
I feel as if I'm going to disappear.
My existence is fading away.

Why?

Misato: Because there's nobody but you.

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:49 pm

I would say the most obvious pointer to Ireul is the poster:

"Corrosive Type"

But while everything seems to be in chronological order, this ones a bit out of place.

Perhaps, this time around, Bardiel and Ireul are one in the same?

Edit:
Similarly, if we conclude that the things listed on the poster are chronological(which they seem to be in terms of relation to the original series), then it stands to reason that Kaworu doesn't make an appearance until the end of the movie---And possibly instigates 3I?

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 pm

Itac wrote:I would say the most obvious pointer to Ireul is the poster:

"Corrosive Type"

I'd say that would point more towards Matariel...

Regarding the Angel combination idea, I think that would be an interesting way to make the enemies tougher, retain all the angels, and explain why there are fewer...
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Agentomega wrote:
I'd say that would point more towards Matariel...

That could point to Matariel, yes, but again I'm going with the idea that it's in chronological order, and it doesn't make sense to have Matariel in the middle of Bardiel's sequence. (Unless that's part of the plot--Matariel is a distraction from Bardiel?)

I say Ireul is "corrosive" because he first appeared through a corrosion in the wall of the HQ. But that particular point in the poster is rather ambiguous and is merely speculation on my part.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Caught up a little bit. Here are some thoughts.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Anywho. For me the Angels I stand by as unequivocally being in the film right now are Sahaquiel, Bardiel, and Zeurel [sic]. Those are the only ones we have pure confirmation. ... My guess is Film 2 will have 3-4 Angel battles.

I agree.

We also have this "Third Angel" to keep an eye out for, as per the movie poster, plus the recent Newtype article featuring Asuka (see the closed thread) spoke of "new Angel(s)". Soon as I saw "Third Angel" listed on the poster, it occurred to me that it just might be our so-called "New Angel".

So with a minimum of three to four Angels to deal with, I'm all for the conservative guesses. The cut recalling the Ireul incident, with the polysomes and ozone and all, could well be "recycling familiar material into a new context". Itac beat me to posting the suggestion that elements from Ireul will be incorporated into Bardiel; the two Angels do share some strong thematic similarities. Perhaps Bardiel will take up a more "active" invasion in 2.0, and the infection of Eva-03 will be more akin to what Ireul did to the simulation bodies (as opposed to simply being transferred to Eva-03 via a bolt of lightning during transport).

As for the cut with the weird "legs" that are being identified with Matarael, it's worth pointing out that there is nothing especially Matarael-like about them aside from being long and spindly. There are only two "legs" in the trailer and they move like someone on stilts, one leg in front of the other. This, along with the trail of "footprints" already left, implies a type of (apparently bipedal?) locomotion that would require a design concept vastly different from Matarael, who has four legs and moves vaguely like a daddy-long-legs. Time will tell just WTF is going on with those "legs", but the odds seem quite a bit against Matarael specifically.

As points of interest regarding the "legs": they're moving through the ocean and passing by a wrecked ship (with smoke billowing out). Also, when they touch the water, the shape of a hexagon enclosing a star forms, which subsequently "frosts over". Very curious.

Note that Sahaquiel doesn't actually appear in the trailer at all. Considering this, and how simplistic the original design was, I'm guessing that Sahaq is receiving a massive makeover that's being kept hush-hush (as per Ramiel). Most likely utilizing previously-unused design concepts. And the result will probably be incredibly badass and win Sahaquiel lots of new fans.

Other notes (maybe mentioned):

• Shot of Eva-01 at the beginning corresponds to her preparing to punch in Eva-03's head. (I hope they make the gore in the subsequent cut lots more explicit. :liplick: )
  • Eva-05 looks like she's shooting off her right harpoon.
  • Eva-05 pilot apparently male, but I'm guessing this isn't a new character. Kensuke, maybe? Though, to be honest, the plugsuit looks like Shinji's...... Maybe we're all being thrown off, and the tidbit from RMB is on the right track.

Forwarding the offhand possibilities that Shinji lands duty with Eva-05 (however that works), or the helmet has actually nothing to do with Eva-05.
  • What exactly is Eva-02 doing, in her second trailer appearance? This cut looks like it fits into the Sahaquiel attack, what with all the crap going on overhead.
  • "Third Impact" may be on the movie poster due to the emphasis the concept receives in the movie, not because it actually happens. We might expect a "close call" as a result Zeruel's attack and some words from Kaji to build up on Misato's vagueries in 1.0. (2.0's version of 19's melon patch scene, in other words.)

Edits: Added some things.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Reichu wrote:Caught up a little bit. Here are some thoughts.

- "Third Impact" may be on the movie poster due to the emphasis the concept receives in the movie, not because it actually happens. We might expect a "close call" with Zeruel's attack and some words from Kaji to build up on Misato's vagueries in 1.0. (2.0's version of 19's melon patch scene, in other words.)

Something I find interesting about the Third Impact portion is that just before it is "Door".

Maybe I missed some other speculation on it, I don't claim to have read all the posts in the forum, but to me the sequence of "Door, Third Impact, and Evangelion Mark.06(Kaworu)" all in an order is just too reminiscent of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".

But of course the brain looks for correlations that may not really be there, so it's purely a guess.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 pm

Itac wrote:...to me the sequence of "Door, Third Impact, and Evangelion Mark.06(Kaworu)" all in an order is just too reminiscent of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door". But of course the brain looks for correlations that may not really be there, so it's purely a guess.

Thanks for pointing out the poster -- I hadn't considered it too heavily in my "rapidfire catch-up" session. (Was away for a few days.)

Let's take a look at the final entries of the 1.0 poster (which follow a bunch of crap related to Operation Yashima):
1.0 Poster wrote:COFFIN
DEAD SEA SCROLLS Apocrypha, the BOOK OF COMMANDMENTS

Final entries of 2.0 poster (again):
2.0 Poster wrote:Devouring Prey [<-- obvious reference to Sho/Zer om-nom-nom scene]
Door
Third Impact
Evangelion Mark.06

It seems more than a little unlikely that Third Impact is going to be squeezed onto the butt-end of the film. What with all the other developments that appear to be filling the movie, I think I'm going to lean towards old guesses that 2.0 reserves Kaworu for -- yet again -- the very end, and Eva-06 descending to Earth is the last thing that happens before the credits roll. "Door" and "Third Impact", then, are mentioned because they will be alluded to somehow in the final scene, most likely through cryptic dialogue that makes absolutely no sense.

Assuming the poster is not designed to thoroughly mislead us -- and I doubt it is -- it could be thought to provide a rather decent rough outline of the movie. Here is some guesswork (probably repeating some things already said):
  • There's a (probably quite grandiose) introductory segment where we meet Asuka, Kaji, Eva-05, and Eva-02. The vast majority of the "new material" will be focused here.
    -- Elements from episode 08 will be incorporated and thoroughly reworked, e.g., Asuka/Eva-02's debut, some focus on naval forces and the ocean, and an Angel being attracted due to Kaji's smuggling of Adam.
    -- A new Angel will be involved -- perhaps the enigmatic "Third", or otherwise a "Seventh" that doesn't correspond to any in NGE's roster (in which case "Third Angel" would be somehow involved towards the beginning of 2.0, but not as an attacker). The weird "legs" in the trailer probably belong to this Angel.
    -- The new location(s) we were threatened with years ago will feature here -- Middle Eastern environs, looks like.
    -- Eva-05, produced at Betania Base, will be invoked, to be joined by Eva-02, dropped in by Germany and outfitted with the S-Type Equipment.
    -- "Nebuchadnezzar's Key" might end up being some kind of FAR "artifact" a la the Spear of Longinus, and the operations at the beginning of 2.0 involve retrieving it from the Middle East and bringing it to Nerv HQ.
  • The Sahaquiel segment follows, evident from "N2 Aerial Depth Charge from Satellite Orbit" and "Woman's Intuition".
  • Eva-04 incident.
  • More new elements: Vatican Treaty, "Real Evangelion" / "False God" dichotomy, Mari's probable introduction.
  • Eva-03/Bardiel/Dummy Plug segment.
  • Zeruel/OM NOM NOM segment.
  • Closing scene with Kaworu and Eva-06.
Obviously there's lots of stuff to cover. Looking forward to seeing how they pull it off, and what surprises await. But... higher-quality version of the trailer first.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:25 pm

What would be interesting is if they did end the movie with Third Impact. Then the third movie would revolve around the aftermath.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 pm

IrkenEvangelion wrote:What would be interesting is if they did end the movie with Third Impact.

"Interesting", sure, but it's also 'a bit' on the "narratively unfeasible" side. On the other hand, putting "Third Impact" on the poster when it's probably just going to mentioned in some cryptic Kaworu/Seele dialogue is great for marketing. Really psychs the potential audience out, if you know what I mean.

@Itac: Worth noting that "Door(s)" also appears in NGE in the context of the doors to the Chamber of Guf (= "Doors of Guf").
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 pm

I doubt they'd do Third Impact, for one simple reason: Gendo said seven MORE Angels. Assuming that whatsit #3 is dead/not going to be fought ala 1 and 2/is Rei, that means that we need 7-13. Leggy (whatever it is), Sahaquiel, Bardiel, Zeruel, and Kaworu only takes us up to 11. We need two more. If #3 will be fought this movie, we need THREE more.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:01 am

1. I've been saying ever since 1.0 came out that the last scene of film 2.0 is gonna be some cryptic scene where Kaworu lands on Earth. I can easily see Gendo with Fuyutsuki or Ritsuko standing in some room looking out the window talking about what just happened in the film in vague terms. Then they'd drop one or REALLY vague lines that could be read in a million different ways and then Gendo goes "The Final Messenger is here at last. We'll monitor how the Third responds to this".
Cut to Eva Unit 06 landing and maybe Kaworu smirking with one last line.
Thus a million more "It's a sequel" theories are born.

it's nice to hear people are coming around to my side.

2. Third Impact will most likely feature key in some conversation Shinji has. (Encouraging him to pilot once again might not work cause it's too much like Misato in 1.0).
But occuring...unlikely. If this was a one off film sure but this is part of a 4 film tale. Having third impact occur now would make Films 3 and 4 very pointless.
"Oh no the Angels coming we should....prevent the Fourth Impact? Why? We're the only people in the world on a beach..."

3. As for this Evangelion 05 pilot...until I see a full quality version I'm unsold thats who is it. You can show these crappy camrip stills and say its a 5 but it can be read as a 5 or 6 in that quality.

Maximilian
Adam

Postby Maximilian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 am

When the whole idea of Rebuild was still fresh, it seemed from the details that were given away that Kaworu would be more involved in the story from the beginning, which I loved. It would make the revelation that he was the "Final Messenger" so much more powerful, and would really give Shinji an excuse to be screwed up.

I'm disappointed that this hasn't been the case, but hopefully he'll at least be part of some big scene at the end, since we've been getting all these cryptic tidbits about him.

You know, it just occurred to me that we know nothing about him, in Rebuild at least. I don't even think his name has been mentioned, between the first movie, the trailers, teasers, and pomotional marketing. Maybe Asuka won't be the only one getting a change to her title.

Edit: And given how much he's been shown (posters and one trailer for 1.0) it really irks me that Kaworu has (and probably will have in 2.0) had such a tiny role in these movies so far. He's in all of the ads, but the bridge crew get more screentime. To the uninitiated, it must be annoying seeing this secondary character get made into such a big deal. But then again, maybe that's what will make that character's inevitable payoff in the last two so effective.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:51 am

In terms of Angels, we have at least:

-Zeruel
-Bardiel
-Sahaquiel
-Something with spindly legs (Matariel?)
-Iruel

One of those may be the Third, and Iruel may somehow be reappropriated into Bardiel... though I really, really doubt it. That's five Angels, four minimum. I can't imagine this movie not being longer than the first one and still have ANY character development.

Judging from the poster, Kaworu will most likely be shoved into the end of this film. I'll be rather annoyed if that happens, but I'm expecting it.

Oh yes, and if Leliel makes no appearance (which is most likely the case, judging from the poster and the fact that we already have four or five other Angels), anyone want to guess what context the Misato-Ritsuko slapping scene was reappropriated into?
Last edited by NAveryW on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:57 am

Maximilian wrote:I don't even think his name has been mentioned, between the first movie, the trailers, teasers, and pomotional marketing. Maybe Asuka won't be the only one getting a change to her title.

"Kaworu Nagisa (Mysterious Boy)"

NAW wrote:-Something with spindly legs (Matariel?)
-Iruel

:facepalm: You didn't read this post (or this post, for that matter), did you? Jeepers, even I skimmed through the whole thread before posting in it...

anyone want to guess what context the Misato-Ritsuko slapping scene was reappropriated into?

Gendo'sPapa did, earlier.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Maximilian
Adam

Postby Maximilian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:57 am

NAveryW wrote:One of those may be the Third, and Iruel may somehow be reappropriated into Bardiel... though I really, really doubt it. That's five Angels, four minimum. I can't imagine this movie not being longer than the first one.

Here's hoping. Not just from my ZOMG MAOR reflex to Evangelion, but because I really can't imagine around 15 episodes (granted things are going to be increasingly derivative from Old Century) condensed into 90 minutes. At least not well.

:redface: Jesus, not doing my research always bites me in the ass. Oh well, my other points still stand (hopefully).

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:22 am

So. This helmet thing. Sealed off, looks like. In the entry plug. Which is filled with LCL?

...roffletoffles?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”