Could Shinji have prevented Asuka's death?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:12 am

Its like reverse Oedipus, with the mom sorta having the hots for the son...sorta. Anyway Shinji couldn't ofhave saved Asuka but with the help of Yui could ofhave. Which brings a whole new set of questions about why Yui didn't help Shinji get in and save Asuka.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 am

I meant Oedipus in the sense that fate was unavoidable. The mother/son business is just extra.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 am

Legendary wrote:Oedipus, actually.

Sophocles, then. If anything, Euripides would be more appropriate.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

I would actually cite all of the three greats as an influence: Asuka’s plight certainly goes with Euripides, although the interconected, sequential pattern is an element Aeschylus. And the Oedipus element Legendary raised, along with the march of unavoidable destiny is influenced by Sophocles.
But the Greek element isn’t just limited to tragedy. The subtle style of Greek delivery is used throughout the show, often information isn’t directly show, but conveyed through background conversations, dialogue or context...This is something of a modernday version of the chorus.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Frankly, I think you're grasping at straws. The influence of Greek techniques on later media is so pervasive that presuming a deliberate utilization of Attic stage themes by Anno et al - who, after all, put in so much of that wonderful 'depth' for entirely superficial reasons - is untenable.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Legendary wrote:I meant Oedipus in the sense that fate was unavoidable. The mother/son business is just extra.

Ah, well in that case it seems the entire situation was avoidable. If Yui would of just throw Shinji inside unit 01 as soon as he got there him and Asuka would certainly been able to completely finish off the mass production series.

ArborVitae
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ArborVitae » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:52 am

The only thing close to ancient Greek - dome style of the plot elements has to do with the fact that everybody dies in the end.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico est

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 pm

ArborVitae wrote:The only thing close to ancient Greek - dome style of the plot elements has to do with the fact that everybody dies in the end.

Dome-style? Like Thunderdome? I'm pretty sure that was Australian, not Greek.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ArborVitae
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ArborVitae » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:03 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
ArborVitae wrote:The only thing close to ancient Greek - dome style of the plot elements has to do with the fact that everybody dies in the end.

Dome-style? Like Thunderdome? I'm pretty sure that was Australian, not Greek.

Check your Wernicke. It is a part of a body part :smirk:
Omne ignotum pro magnifico est

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:17 pm

ArborVitae wrote:
Check your Wernicke. It is a part of a body part :smirk:

My irony meter just exploded. :asuka_miffed:

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

xfactor30seconds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xfactor30seconds » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:53 pm

since SEELE had third impact planned to happen even if Shinji had gotten into unit 01 and saved Asuka they probaly would have found some way to kill her and initiate third impact. Asuka's death was crucial to the plan because it affected Shinji's decision in the end. If Asuka didn't die then SEELE's plan would have been delayed.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/xfactor30seconds

my anime list :)

Evangelion Geeks GOOOOOOO
lol yeah

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:19 pm

xfactor30seconds wrote:since SEELE had third impact planned to happen even if Shinji had gotten into unit 01 and saved Asuka they probaly would have found some way to kill her and initiate third impact. Asuka's death was crucial to the plan because it affected Shinji's decision in the end. If Asuka didn't die then SEELE's plan would have been delayed.

Third impact would be inevitable. Eva-01 probably could of killed the MP EVAs and third impact still would've happened. Not by SEELE's hands but by Gendo's hand. Remember Rei and Gendo are still down there in Terminal Dogma.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:34 pm

^
Yes, but then she wouldn't have died any earlier than the whole world did. Everyone dies eventually, sure, but he could have prevented that particular death.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 am

Oh. So, in a way, the fish faced evas saved Asuka. By horribly mutilating Asuka's Eva and probably killing Asuka, they caused Shinji to go batshit insane, summon a giant naked Rei, turn everybody into tang and somehow the sequence of events ended up with Asuka being alive again.

If 3rd impact had gone Gendo's way, this wouldn't have happened (me thinks).
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:08 am

NemZ wrote:Yes, but then she wouldn't have died any earlier than the whole world did. Everyone dies eventually, sure, but he could have prevented that particular death.

Asuka (over speaker system): "Grrrawwwwwrrrr, that stupid Shinji! Perhaps today IS a good day to die!!!!"

DummyPlug wrote:If 3rd impact had gone Gendo's way, this wouldn't have happened (me thinks).

I'm not sure what you think would have happened -- but it's worth paying close attention to what he says to Seele at the beginning of the movie and the instructions he gives Rei later on...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 am

My understanding was that he wanted to reunite with Yui at all costs, without caring about what happens to the rest of humanity.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 am

A commonly taken impression but inconsistent with all the cues provided.

To read more / continue discussion (this is off-topic and all) --

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=5375
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2556
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=319
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=606

(Sorry, NemZ. ......Nah.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:26 pm

NemZ wrote:^
Yes, but then she wouldn't have died any earlier than the whole world did. Everyone dies eventually, sure, but he could have prevented that particular death.

He would have had to have been motivated before he knew Asuka was out there, because by the time he did know, Misato was dragging him along, and by the time he knew Asuka was in trouble, he was already at the launch cage.

Then we must assume he had the ability to call EVA-01 to action, which I believe he at least had a part in, as her actions were far too convenient for him. :eva01_roar:
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:11 am

I think the implication was that he could have. Asuka only failed because she ran out of power. Shinji doesn't have that problem.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:12 am

TheLobe wrote:I think the implication was that he could have.

Except NemZ doesn't believe that, which makes his statement rather peculiar.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”